Friday, April 19, 2013

A friend sent me a poem by Charles Bukowski a few months back. I quote from it:

"if it doesn't come bursting out of you
in spite of everything, 
don't do it. 
unless it comes unasked out of your 
heart and your mind and your mouth 
and your gut, 
don't do it. 
if you have to sit for hours 
staring at your computer screen 
or hunched over your 
typewriter 
searching for words, 
don't do it".

The poem talks about writing of course. What did you think?

I have been taking this rather literally and not writing at all. Save for work reports and mails. Oh, and Facebook statuses. 

I am also surrounded by people who write so beautifully. Those who articulate their argument with such breathtaking eloquence. With such passion and incisiveness and wit and warmth. It makes me feel unworthy of writing at all. 

Also for some strange reason, I have hardly been reading for the past year or so. With this, I feel both my vocabulary and my imagination has shrunk. This could also be a sign of getting very, very old.

Despite all this, I want to take a stab at writing again. For whatever it is worth. And for that, this blog of hyphens would have to do for now.

1 comment:

neeru said...

Yes Yes! You need to write! I will be your muse if you want :P