Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Watching your father become a child again : priceless


My father’s engineering batch just had their 30 year reunion.

It was the most delightful thing to watch my generally serious, stiff, reserved and introverted father let go and have such a blast. I do not know if it is going back to his alma mater or whether it is the high of meeting people who knew you since your 70s hairstyle and bush-shirts-and-bellbottoms days which did that. Backslaps, exchanges of old stories and scandals, laughing over the old fist fights, dancing after 30 years, laughing more, smiling more, hugging more. There were some heartfelt speeches which even shut up the cynic in me (Not something which happens often I can assure you). It was emotional to say the least. Even for an outsider like me!

Makes you wonder why it takes 30 years for a reunion to happen.

10 comments:

KVSSNRao said...

As a participant in TRY, I am happy to read this post. There was real excirement and happiness among batchmates but even others who met for the first developed strong bonds during those two or three days.

from now you have one more regular visitor to your blog.

With best wishes

Sujith Alex said...

Makes you wonder why it takes 30 years for a reunion to happen..... I couldnt agree with you more

Unknown said...

I am all ready for a reunion now!!! say where?? ;)

Anonymous said...

Wonderful!!

Anonymous said...

I am pretty sure that if there was a re union 30 years later in SVCE, I defi. wouldn't attend it. Heck, I am not even gonna come for the last day of college.

I don't wanna be associated with that stupid place...

Sravanthi said...

@KVSSNRao:
I totally agree. It was a real sight to see you all dancing with such enthu that day!! :)

@Sujith:
:)

@Mukhil:
Oh yes! Should we call HOD too? ;)

@Dilip:
Thank you!

@Sagaro:
I know what you mean. My father's batch has such attachments to their college and to their faculty. I on the other hand would probably want to do a lot of untypeable things to every single person who 'taught' us.

Prufrockster said...

:)

Anonymous said...

Me not lookin fwd to a re-union either, but gud u had such an exp, it kinda renews one's faith in all that's gud in the world i suppose :-D

Sravanthi said...

@ doggerel :
:)

@ teal :
It does actually! I think all the issues we have with people now will seem rather petty after 30 years when we are older and hopefully wiser. :)

But hey, a III C reunion of DAV I am definitely all for! What say?

Anonymous said...

awwww it must have been an event to watch! :)